Here are some of the signs that your foundation might be in trouble. Typically you can see these signs in one of two places or even in both. Either inside your home or on the outside of your home.
If you see any of these trouble signs then it means you should get a qualified foundation repair specialist to come out to your home and check it out.
Many times large and expensive foundation repair jobs can be avoided by taking action quickly.
Here are the interior signs that you are having foundation issues:
- You start to get cracks in the ceilings or in the walls.
- Doors that opened perfectly fine are starting to stick when you try to open or close them.
- The natural stone or bricks around your fireplace star showing cracks in the mortar.
- You can see a separation from your crown molding or trim.
- Wallpaper starts to get “crinkles” in it.
- Some of your windows become difficult to open/close or are stuck.
- You feel like you are walking uphill / downhill when before the area felt flat.
You can also have foundation damage showing up on the exterior of your home. Here are some of the telltale exterior signs:
- The most obvious is cracks in between the bricks (along the mortar lines).
- Expansion joint gets wider either at the top or the bottom of the wall.
- There is a gap in between the window pane and the wall.
- Roof line looks uneven (sometimes you have to backup a distance from the house to really see this)
Here are a few of the things that can cause foundation damage, of course it is best to consult your local foundation repair specialist to make sure that you are 100% positive you know what has caused the damage so that it can be resolved:
- Lack of proper guttering on the house.
- Contraction / expansion of clay soil (in conjunction with heat and moisture levels).
- Not having adequate drainage around the house.
- The close proximity of certain types of trees or shrubs to the house.
- Heat and sun.
If you feel that you are having foundation problems, feel free to contact us!
As always, we are more than happy to come out, do an assessment and put together a proposal to rid your home of any foundation related problems that you might be having.